• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Chickens Administering Marek Vaccination

Dancan

Hello farmers
Please anyone let me understand how do u vaccinate a one day old chick, the chick comes out very delicate. This marek vaccination is a tricky affair. Coz for me I understand it takes atleast 3days for a hatched chick to atleast stabilize. Anyone come to my rescue.

Sue Auma

Author
I still believe you can vaccinate at around 3 days for Marek's when your birds are more stabilized. However, you need to be VERY careful that the birds do not have any potential to get the disease in those first few days because that is the time they are most likely to get it. If you ever had Mareks on your farm I would suggest having the brooder in a different location since the disease stays around for a long time and sometimes will be in birds for their entire life without you noticing.

Hello farmers
Please anyone let me understand how do u vaccinate a one day old chick, the chick comes out very delicate. This marek vaccination is a tricky affair. Coz for me I understand it takes atleast 3days for a hatched chick to atleast stabilize. Anyone come to my rescue.
Hello....mareks vaccination is done in the form of subcutaneous injection for day old chicks.......it is mainly done in commercial hatcharies. ...reason being,big incubators stand high chances of getting the infection and that is why it comes in doses of 1000....if you have an incubator of less than 1000 egg capacity please don't be worried. ......another thing is that mareks disease is not a threat in this country