• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Livestock Dairy farming.

Femkins

My dairy cow production is unsatisfactory; 5ltrs per day on average, acquired on May 1st, 2019. Tried deworming two months ago and better feeds with no improvement. Any ideas for improvement are welcomed. Picture attached...

Attachments

• IMG20190731112130.jpg
    IMG20190731112130.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 3

nedward

Veterinarian
Dairying is one of the most challenging to most farmers when it comes to production. Farmers never get it right because mostly we fail to complete understand our dairy cattle hence in ability to exploit their genetic potential. Just to start you on, remember phonotypic expression (external appearance)e.g color doesn't necessarily translates to better production example the fact that the cow is black and white doesn't mean Friesian breed unless backed up by her breeding records. The point is the problem starts from where you got the cow from and whether her breeding records can be traced back to true breed. Assuming the breed is true to type, you must get your feeding , housing and milking procedures well in order to harvest good milk from your cow. Dairy cows are customized to routine hence stick to same milking procedures daily including never changing milkers and milking CAN or machine. Milk let down is both an art and science. Stimulate your animal well, give right feed, have good breed in good environment free from environmental stress and you will be smilling all the way to the bank.

RichardOpondo

I have had acousin of mine with a similar querry.....since the xow was already at his plce i started asking them questions...
I observed tgat he gave the cow water that they used up from their daily laundry, they fed the cow primarily on WHOLE husks and
They didnt know a thing about. Supplimentation and multivitamin injections so i advised tgem accordingly.things are improving!