• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Livestock Dairy Farming

WanjalaMakokha

I have 2 hectors of land in Kinangop and I want to start dairy farming for milk production. Kindly advise me on the following;
  1. Which cow between Fresian and Jersey is the best on the weather of between 10 and 17 degrees all year round.
  2. What do I need to start off?
  3. Where can sell my Milk?
  4. What type of feeds do I need?

Wanjala

nedward

Veterinarian
Kinangop is a prime area for dairy, it is worth noting that dairy cow from commercial perspective is a machine that converts feed into milk. That in mind then what you need before thinking of bringing in the animals is pasture establishment, next is building where your machine is going to be mounted (the dairy cow is the machine here) meaning you need to construct a unit. Once that is done think of where the end product of your dairying will be marketed. Either through cooperatives example kinangop dairy cooperative society or through farm gate. Where you will get essential services to make your machine functioning at optimum level must also be in your mind( veterinarian / extension service providers.). That said and done link up with like minded farmers as iron sharpens iron and gain more skills on dairy. Ideal cattle for your area will be Friesian otherwise if market demands high butter fat content then you might have other dairy breeds to raise the butter fat level.

WanjalaMakokha

Thank you so much for the response. I will ask around other information and extension services. But I need someone to hold my hand am total blind in this Field .