• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Livestock Dairy Goat

kajoro.hm

I have a dairy goat which is a very poor feeder. I give it green fodder but the appetite seems so low. Milk production is poor. It also doesn't like water. What can I do to improve it.

nedward

Veterinarian
I have a dairy goat which is a very poor feeder. I give it green fodder but the appetite seems so low. Milk production is poor. It also doesn't like water. What can I do to improve it.
The main aim of dairying is milk production, and the only raw material for milk production is feed and water. If there are no underlying health issue contributing to inappetance then the goat is of no economic value hence culling is the only option. Otherwise if signs of disease exhibited kindly share for better assistance.

kajoro.hm

Thank you for your advise. Just a further question, is there a away of boosting water consumption in the goats?

nedward

Veterinarian
Thank you for your advise. Just a further question, is there a away of boosting water consumption in the goats?
Natural goats due to their genetic adaptation will limit their water consumption (oral). However they will always nipple the buds of Forbes (plants) that are very succulent.this adds to their total water consumption.