• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Disease

Wemah

Hi, I vaccinated my birds 9 days ago with fowl pox and fowl typhoid vaccines and today my birds started dying with wwollen eyes.What could be wrong?

nedward

Veterinarian
How old were they when you did the vaccination. It is most likely they didn't respond to the vaccine . Reason being 1. You vaccinated when the disease was already in but at clinical stage
2. The interval between the two vaccinations I.e fowl pox and fowl typhoid was short hence no immune response was developed ( major histocompatibility complex). Never vaccinate 2 different vaccines same time. Give duration not less than 7 days.

Wemah

Thanks nedward, I realize my mistake... I vaccinated them with both fowl pox and fowl typhoid vaccines!

nedward

Veterinarian
Sorry for not doing it right. However it is great your are learning. We are here to uplift one another, so don't hesitate to ask when in doubt.

Wemah

Much appreciated Edward... On the same breath, I have two week and one week pure kienyeji chicks in the brooder and they're dying on daily basis. Like today today I found 6 dead despite the fact that I have been giving them medication religiously

nedward

Veterinarian
Check on your feed quality. Chicken in brooder appart from vaccinations need nothing more than feed anti-stress (multivitamin). The moment you start treatments in the brooder, the problem root cause must be addressed coz chicks can't withstand high pathogen load. Review your management practices.

Evansomondi

I have a problem my fellow farmers, my chick are having problem with infectious coryza, how can I go about it or which antibody can I administer to them that may help

nedward

Veterinarian
Because it is bacterial, antibiotics such as norflaxacin can be used to reduce the severity. However it doesn't eliminate the microorganisms from carriers hence all in all out system of production is the surest way of eliminating the disease.