• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Droppings sticking around the vent of below 2 week old chicks

dunodhi

I have a number of approximately 2 week old chicks who have got droppings sticking around their vent ( some wet droppings while others dry ones).
I have medicated their drinking water with Biotrim antibiotic for a period of 2 days.
I give them grinded maize mixed with grinded omena.
Other chicks also got outpouring* feathers.
Please advice.

nedward

Veterinarian
Vent pesting in chicks is sure sign of stress. Your chicks could stressed as aresult of high temperatures, low temperatures, diseases setting in such as coccidiosis, feed indigestion. Your case is a classical sign of poor digestion. Recommendation is always give chicks fine feed because their digestive enzymes aren't active enough to break course feed. Advice is to change their feed if possible get commercial feed for them for the next 10days then can get back to your normal feed gradually. For the affected birds withraw antibiotics and instead add "liquid paraffin in their drinking water"remember not kerosen. The onces with pasted vents you have to swab cotton wool in warm water and have the vent cleaned, should there be any tire, clean with povidone iodine