• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Fowl pox infecting 3 week old chicks

dunodhi

Hello, am a man in deep thoughts. My concern, most of my 30 chicks have been infected by fowl pox.

Before this current generation of chicks were infected, previously, my 15 chicks again about 3weeks were infected by fowl pox, I used tylodoxy and Smeared kerosene on their wounds but none survived.

Am still wondering how to manage the condition because, ideally, fowl pox vaccine should be administered at 6weeks but my chicks rarely get past 3weeeks and infected.

With the previous lesson, I decided to administer fowl pox vaccine to my current flock(who are infected with the infection) at exactly 3 weeks old. Unfortunately, most are now infected just days after the vaccine.

So please, how may I contain this deadly infection that's inflicting so much pain in my chicks and I.

Thanks in advance.

nedward

Veterinarian
Thanks for seeking advice. Kindly you are not a lone. This is one big challenge many farmers are facing and silently suffering or completely abandoning poultry production. Point number 1. Know that once you have done fowl pox vaccination in the poultry unit for the first time in a new poultry unit, that unit remains with the pox for as long as it has not been cleaned disinfected and rested. Meaning should you introduce chicks or any birds that has not been vaccinated into that flock or that unit, they will definitely get infected. The older vaccinated birds will be immune but carriers. If you are prenticing mixed age poultry production which isn't recommended anyway, then ensure your have separated unit or section away from the older birds where you raise them have them vaccinated against fowl at 21 days. Let them stay in that unit or section for next 7-14 days for the immunity to develop, then transfer all to the rest of the flock, have the chicks unit disinfected cleaned rested ready to receive new chicks. And the circle continues. If you practice all in all out the better. You stress will be gone for ever and you will be new ambassador for fowl pox control to many more.

nedward

Veterinarian
You have to give tender love and care, squeezing out the white stuff in the eye out daily, swabbing with iodine solution and apply either centrino cream on the scabs and if possible oxtetracycline cream on the eyes. Get this from nearest vet. Multivitamin a must to refuse stress. Remember this birds die of hunger due to in ability to see feed hence the need to assist open the eyes.