• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry geese not laying eggs

Tualagal

i have been blessed by a relative two geese who are two year old but for a while they have not laid eggs, they have not successful brooded any chicks to maturity. i want them to stay laying eggs, what should i do?

Nyambura K

Veterinarian
i have been blessed by a relative two geese who are two year old but for a while they have not laid eggs, they have not successful brooded any chicks to maturity. i want them to stay laying eggs, what should i do?

Geese lay eggs mainly in the spring months, which range from March to May in Kenya. However, the exact time when your geese are likely to start laying eggs may differ depending on their breed. For instance, Chinese breeds of geese are likely to lay eggs during the cooler months, ranging from June through September.

Some of the reasons your geese may not be laying eggs include:
1. Gender
Maybe you have geese of the same gender, either all male or all female. You can resolve this by checking whether you have a male (gander) and female (goose). You can identify the sex of your mature birds through physical examination. Push back the tail of the bird towards the head with one hand and gently press the abdomen downwards with the other hand to expose the reproductive organs. If you see a penis, which is white and spiral in shape, then that is a male goose. If not, you have a female goose.
Apart from checking for the reproductive organs, there are also a set of features that can help differentiate between a gander and a goose. Gander (male goose) have a high shrill voice, slightly larger body, slightly longer neck, larger head, and are the first to move outside when the flock is approached. For Chinese varieties, the gander has a knob at the base of the top beak.
On the contrary, female geese have a harsh and hoarse cry, their abdomen is soft, and their pelvic bones wide, especially in laying eggs.

2. Breed
Another reason your geese are not laying eggs could be related to genetics. Some breeds are better at producing eggs. For instance, Chinese breeds lay eggs often compared to Emden and Toulouse breeds. Hence, it is important to understand the type of geese you have and their chances of laying eggs.

3. Nutrition
The nutrition you feed your geese could also be reason they are not laying eggs. Well, you don’t have to feed geese any complicated formula foods. But you can go an extra mile to promote the early onset of egg production. For geese to lay eggs, you must put them on reduced feed to limit their body weight and increase their fertility. Consider feeding your geese a ration of protein and pasture but be cautious that they do not overfeed.
Well, with the right gender, right breed, and right nutrition, I guarantee that you should have your geese laying eggs (as long as they are not over 20 years old, off course). The older your geese are, the less likely they are to lay eggs. It’s like hitting menopause!