• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Graduate Abandon Their Respective Degree For Poultry Farming

Oskar Simatwo

My-initial-capital-was-Ksh-170-000-which-I-used-to-buy-1000-broilers-drugs-and-chicken-meals.-...jpg
Jacob Kinuthia is a poultry farmer in Nakuru.

“My name is Jacob from Kiamunyi, Nakuru. I am a poultry farmer, the business I started three years ago after I unsuccessfully hunted for employment in Nairobi. I pursued a Business Administration course from Maseno University and I had hopes of securing a well-paying job. Three years after my graduation, I found myself jobless. I had no option but to look for something to keep me busy, which is why I landed here- poultry farming.

My initial capital was Ksh 170,000, which I used to buy 1,000 broilers, drugs and chicken meals. I kept the chicken for 6 weeks and sold 890 after 11 of them suffered natural attrition.

The proceeds I got from the sale enabled me to buy the second set of chicken—I managed to buy 1000 others and remained with Kshs. 20,000 for savings. Since I started this business, I have managed to save Kshs 720,000 and I am expecting to hit Kshs. 1 million this year.”

Eunice Njeri is also a poultry farmer in Kiambu. She shares her success story:

“Well, I didn’t see myself doing this job at all especially after I joined the University of Nairobi for a teaching degree, but after I was employed by a local school in Kiambu and offered a monthly payment of Kshs. 6,500, I decided to quit for poultry farming.

I remember it was in 2014 when I quit my job to venture into business, and my passion directed me to poultry farming. My initial capital was Kshs. 75,000, the money I had saved from teaching and hustling within the town. At first, I almost quit the business because out of the 400 broilers I bought, 102 of them died and I remained with less than 300 for sale, which I sold and bought the second batch.

I have since 2014 dedicated all my time to this business especially after I received orders from top hotels in Kiambu to supply them chicken. Today, three years down the line, I am able to make Kshs. 180,000-Kshs. 250,000 per month. My capital has risen to Kshs. 500,000; my savings too have increased to Kshs. 2.5 million. I am hoping to make up to Kshs. 500,000 per month at the end of the year”.

Even as the farmers share stories, you should note that the business has its challenges. From experience, we have noted that poultry farming requires maximum dedication, enough capital to buy at least 500 broilers and where to sell your chicken, but the market is always ripe. Many of the farmers reveal that they make upwards of Kshs. 300,000 per month when the business is on a large scale. Small businesses, which involve keeping less than 100 chicken will yield you between Kshs. 5,000-Kshs. 20,000 per month.

Found this article here: https://www.farmerstrend.co.ke/graduate-abandon-their-respective-degree-for-poultry-farming/

D.Qibet

Hello Jacob
I am so glad i joined this cite. i am also in kind of a similar situation at the moment but i havent really reached my target. I graduated from the University of Nairobi B.com finance option and i have been hunting for jobs since. i even gave up applying since it is just a waste of time and am taking poultry farming (Kuroiler laying chicken) not only as my full time job but to an extent as a passion