• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry House

Wmwai

What's the recommended poultry house for young chicks; should it be raised or at the ground

nedward

Veterinarian
Chicks are rises in a brooder which is usually constructed within the unit where the birds will be raised for the rest of their lives in case of small holder farms. It is hence advisable to construct unit ment for the mature flock at spacing of 2sqft per bird for layers and 1 sqft per bird for broilers then have your brooder constructed in it.

Wmwai

My poultry house is about three feet from the ground and when I brought in the month old chicks they could crowd in one corner at night so the following morning I collect a number of them after dieing from a stampede. Therefore, my observation is that the house that is raised from the ground is not warm as the one at the ground

Wmwai

Iam talking about a poultry house of chicks that I bought when they were a month old, not a brooder.

nedward

Veterinarian
Designed to standard, you shouldn't experience deaths whether raised or not. Key point is having litter on the floor and solid walls 3ft high.