• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Chickens How to care for the chics

Ongondo

I keep kienyeji chicks. Thefemale ones hatch a number of chicks. But all die. What proper care should be taken against the chicks.please advice

nedward

Veterinarian
I keep kienyeji chicks. Thefemale ones hatch a number of chicks. But all die. What proper care should be taken against the chicks.please advice
To improve on this you need to take care of the chicks yourself.leaving the birds to run around scavenge with the chicks always result into survival uncertainty. You can raise the chicks in box brooder allowing one mother hen to cover them all at night in that box. It has worked out for many. Free range chicks on box brooder perform best between September and February.

Ongondo

To improve on this you need to take care of the chicks yourself.leaving the birds to run around scavenge with the chicks always result into survival uncertainty. You can raise the chicks in box brooder allowing one mother hen to cover them all at night in that box. It has worked out for many. Free range chicks on box brooder perform best between September and February.
Thanks so much. How do i get the box brooder. At what price

nedward

Veterinarian
Thanks so much. How do i get the box brooder. At what price
It is simple you can involve any carpenter nearby to make one for you or you can make yourself. You simply need plywood or blockboard and make a box out of it. Put hay in it and your chicks will be warm. The height should be your arm length.this link can guide you toohttps://mkulima.co/attachments/hay-box-pdf.15/

Last edited: