• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Sorghum and Millets is millet a good choice for my farm?

Ann Gitau

I have been thinking of planting millet where I come from - Kandara in Murang'a County. Maize and beans have not been very well and so I am thinking about a crop that won't require high rainfall as that part is rainfall dependent and yet the rain is not very dependable.

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
Hello Ann Gitau, I noted you've been growing Maize and beans, with reference to this, i would wish to let you know that Sorghum, millet and maize requires similar soil conditions I.e fertility and PH levels the only advantage sorghum and millets have over maize is that the two are tolerant to drought so therefore if non performance of your maize was due to erratic rainfall then sorghum and millet are best options but before making this conclusion please check on these other two parameters (soil fertility and PH ). Thanks