• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Kienyeji chicken

Want to know why most of the kienyeji once it's the stage for incubation the chickens are not able to hatch all the eggs. They end up hatching three or sometimes one

Pegrada

I have 1 cock and 4 hens. I collect 2-3 eggs every morning, what should I do to increase the eggs production. What feeds to give so that the chicken lay more eggs?

nedward

Veterinarian
Want to know why most of the kienyeji once it's the stage for incubation the chickens are not able to hatch all the eggs. They end up hatching three or sometimes one
Great questions. Hatch rates in local poultry depends on the following factors, fertile eggs, number of eggs set for incubation, time of setting the eggs, external parasites, and nutritiinal status of the bird. To begin with ensure your hen has cocks and eggs set have no cracks or dirt, set maximum 7 eggs for small size birds and 12 for large birds, set the eggs at 6pm so that hatching starts at 6pm of the 21st day. This allows the hen to use entire night attending to the eggs during hatching. Remember hen will always leave other eggs that would otherwise hatch as long as the 1st hatched chicks are strong enough to jump out of the nest. Close the nest for the entire day of 21st and half day of 22nd. Other factors remaining constant, nutritionals status and pest control paramount