• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Chickens large number of chickens die

kabson

i need help mostly with my poultry farming i do have layers am raising but i normally get problems where a big number of my layers die at week three they a normally attacked by fever which kills most of them. Recent example two weeks back i had 500 layers but as i speak i was able to rescue only 120 out of the 500 layers .

This has been common for the last two years i have raised layers.thanks

nedward

Veterinarian
it is worth noting that chicken being monogastric(simple stock) treating them once infection has set in is always very fastidious and success rates is always very poor. it is therefore mandatory to observe strict hygine and feed quality(if possible compose your own ration) or source from reliable feed millers whose feed quality has been tested. remember cheap is always expensive. viral disease however you have to observe vaccination program in addition to sourcing your chicks from known breeders. at present you have to deplete the stock of 120 you are left with, have the house cleaned rested and disinfected before bringing new flock.