• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Maggots

nedward

Veterinarian
You. Will. Need a bucket, hay or wheat straws/ rice straw or dry grass, poultry dropping or any biodegradable carcass. Poke holes on the side of the bucket , but layer of grass at the bottom of the bucket then spread your substrate on top. Cover with grass and put second layer of substrate. Repeat until top of the bucket the cover with grass. Keep it most. The flies will lay their eggs and maggots emerges that will drop out from the holes. You can collect or let them drop and picked by the chicken.

Ndambo

@nedward you schooled us there. In cases where I am using the deep litter system, the dropping will be mixed with the wood shavings, can I just moist this ?

Ndambo

Awesome!!! Thank you see my attempt at doing this. The larvae started getting out of the karae at night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_215758.jpg
    IMG_20200507_215758.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

nedward

Veterinarian
You then should have Punched holes on the trough so that they drop off otherwise they will mature to adult fly