• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Vegetables my bananas plantation is yellowing leaves

Tualagal

i noticed my bananas leaves are turning yellow some of them not all. s it a disease and what should i apply?. secondly there are alot of flies and snails what is the recommended insecticide?

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
i noticed my bananas leaves are turning yellow some of them not all. s it a disease and what should i apply?. secondly there are alot of flies and snails what is the recommended insecticide?
Good morning Tualagal, There are closed to three causes of yellowing in Banana leaves
  1. Yellowing as a symptom to Yellow Sigatoka disease
    [*]
    BXW Banana Xanthomonas wilt
    [*]Panama disease

However there are characteristic differences to enable narrowing down specific disease in your case.
-Yellow Sigatoka is deep pure yellow leaves with black streaks and dark necrotic spots
- BXM is characterized by internal rotting from on stem and premature fruit rippening
-Panama characterized by pure yellowing on leaves almost no spot.

Management
#1and 3 are soil born fungal diseases, early soil test before planting would be ideal to prompt fumigation or solarization. Field hygiene to prevent cross infections from infected crops to clean ones this can be achieved by sterilising harvesting tools, planting clean suckers, destroying diseased plants.
#2 is also soil borne bacterial infection already attacked crops can be destroyed to avoid disease spreading out to other healthy plants. Planting clean and healthy materials, remove affected plants, use of clean implements and tools while handling the crops.Theres no known chemicals for treatment to infected plants however soil sterilization can be done before planting at land preparation time.