• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Tomatoes my last tomato crop spoilt

Ann

Certified Expert
Why did the whole crop fail? Was it invaded by pest and diseases or was it due to lack of water or too much water. From this point we can be able to give guidelines and future intervention.
However there are various factor that can result to crop failure this includes
Poor planning- failure to effectively plan for your production is planning to fail. Its thus important to plan prior to investing
Water- to much water e.g floods or inadequate water .
Pest and diseases e.g Tuta absoluta that causes 50-100 percent loss.monitoring and early identification of pest and diseases should be done effectively.
Crop nutrition. Fertilizer application should be done in accordance to soil test analysis and the crop nutrient requirement.
To avoid to post harvest losses after the production market research/ identification should be done in advance or value add the products.
I hope this useful for now.

steven kithuka

in addition what makes crop to fail its poor management and relies on wrong channel of information,,,i.e you come across particular articles describe the farming but u want to do like him/her