• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Leaf Vegetables Need advice on vegetable farming

Kenneth Kiplimo

I wish to establish a small scale farm that produces vegetables throughout the year. At the moment, nothing has been done on the farm. Shallow water table, nearby electricity, tarmac road and good soil. Advice and guide me please.

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
I wish to establish a small scale farm that produces vegetables throughout the year. At the moment, nothing has been done on the farm. Shallow water table, nearby electricity, tarmac road and good soil. Advice and guide me please.
@Kenneth thanks for your good question. From your statement I can see you have in disposal most vital resources to make your dream a reality. Before I narrow down to other determinants which will influence and your activities and choices please I would wish you first establishe whether your "shallow water source " is sufficient to meet your irrigation needs throughout the production period when pumped direct from the main source to farm or you need a supplementary storage facility. You may use the following guidelines to ascertain this.
. type of crop/ vegetable to be grown ( different vegetables requires variable amount of water)
. size of the farm to be irrigated (the bigger the farm definitely more water need)
. type of irrigation system/method to be used (furrow/flooding method utilize large volume of water as compared other methods with drip method being most economical as far as water utilization is concerned)
. length of naturally wet period and corresponding dry spell length.
Having settled on a solution to the a bove, then you come to production questions that will also help you make a choice
(s) on what type of vegetable(s) to grow for maximum profitability.

Here are the questions to address:-

1 WHAT TO PRODUCE.?
2 HOW MUCH TO PRODUCE?
3 WHEN TO PRODUCE?
4 HOW TO PRODUCE?
5 OPPORTUNITY COST ?

What to produce seeking decision to be made based on cost to be incurred and possible returns expected from each enterprise also natural factors like temperature, soil type and PH( can be amended)
How much to produced determined by market demand, inputs resource available, farm size , labour availability etc
When to produce determined by market outlets availability and may be capital availability to run operations
How to produce seeking to address technical related issues eg green house production require specific skills as compared to open field. Growing tomatoes may slightly differ from growing kales ,cabbages or onions
Opportunity cost this is hypothetical financial analysis on each enterprise concerning cost saved and cost incurred as well as income gained vs income forgone when an enterprise is completely replaced with the other or prootheron level is reduced in one case and increased on the other

I believe at this point you'll be able to make an informed choice on what to do then you're still free to ask on agronomic guidance on any choice you make we will be more than ready to help
Thanks

Dennis Jumah

Hey experts, What might be the cause of such leaves in kales ? And any immediate possible solution please.

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_073145.jpg
    IMG_20190420_073145.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190420_073346.jpg
    IMG_20190420_073346.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 12

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
Hello Denish a close look of the specimens you've displayed I could see the leaves somewhat perforated and/or dehydrated, could also see tinny dark-grey materials which seem to be pests of dead marks. Nevertheless this look like a characteristic symptoms of crop attacked by downy mildew at the same time infested with cut-worms they attack crops leaving behind perforated leaves. Ashy- purple color observed are the symptoms of the mildew.
Look for these chemicals to help you get rid of these pest cutworms/ Caterpillars if that's the case with your crops
.Actara
.Karate
.Match
.Oshothion or any other broad spectrum pesticides you can get from Agrochemicals shop/ out let next to you.
For the mildew, among many look for
*Oshothion special
*Oshothane 75
*Pearl
Or any other fungicide with Mancozeb and Metalycin as an active ingredients
-Ridomil
-Score
E.T.C

Thanks

Last edited: