• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Chickens Need Advice

Gavna

I keep chicken and I farm maize, millet and groundnuts. My area is semi arid with rains coming only one season in a year, March to May. The farm produce is not reliable due to uncertainty in rainfall. Should I put all my energy on keeping chicken and forget about maize and millet? They take a lot of resources but the return is minimal.

nedward

Veterinarian
Yo
I keep chicken and I farm maize, millet and groundnuts. My area is semi arid with rains coming only one season in a year, March to May. The farm produce is not reliable due to uncertainty in rainfall. Should I put all my energy on keeping chicken and forget about maize and millet? They take a lot of resources but the return is minimal.
Your need to do cost benefit analysis for each enterprise then compare which ones can integrate well based on the gross margin analysis of each. Otherwise my advice from economics point of view is always to spread risk by doing more than one enterprise. Thanks

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
ADITIONAL THOUGHT :Are you able to do water harvesting to enable to you do irrigated horticulture too or as a way of spreading your production risks/ diversi