• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Chickens only a few eggs hatched

johnnie kim

i bought kroila eggs to be sitted by my groomy birds buy out of fifteen eggs only five hatch wht might be the cause of the problem

nedward

Veterinarian
i bought kroila eggs to be sitted by my groomy birds buy out of fifteen eggs only five hatch wht might be the cause of the problem
@Johnnie Kim several things might have gone wrong. Relying on someone else's produce though isn't always that easy. Below are some points you should look for:-
1; check the source:- always buy eggs for hatching from reputable breeders. Egg sellers can sale anything.
2;Check the age:- for good hatch rate the eggs shouldn't be more than 7days since laying. After 7days hatch rate reduces.
3;check your eggs:- candling will help you eliminate eggs with cracked shell
Never rely on your eyes ? alone. You need sharp light to illuminate the eggs so as to see the thin cracks and highly porous egg shells. Such eggs will never hatch.

Remember reputable breeders will give you quality eggs but cracks my develop as you transport them so never ignore candling your eggs.

last but not least set not more than 7 eggs for small birds and 12 eggs for larger birds.