• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Leaf Vegetables organic solution for insects?

Nyagaki

At the moment am in the process of preparing my small farm for planting. Am interested in different products that spinach carrots lettuce managu n purple passion fruits. . My soil is black cotton soil but I will do it under irrigation. The problem I have is insects. Which cut the seedling after shooting to the soil. I would love to grow my prodtucts organically. What should I use to prevent them from insect especially "ngiria" in my mother tongue kikuyu?

Ann

Certified Expert
Its possible to control the pest organically. If I understand your language you are talking about crickets.
To control the pest organically the following can be done:
1.Mixing 1/2 cup of molasses with 5 cups of water and place the mixture into an open glass jar.
The molasses will attract the crickets and cause them to jump inside the jar.
2. Mix soap with water bottle and spray directly on the crickets. The soap breaks down the outer shells of the insects and eventually kills them.
3.A spray of hot pepper would also help to control this.
4. Keep the environment clean to deprive the crickets shelter and sources discouraging the pest.
5. Hand picking can also be done.
6. Use of diatomaceous earth a natural powder made from ground up fossils which kills insects when they walk on them leading to dehydration and eventually killing them.

I hope this is helpful for you.