• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Avacados Passion fruits

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
Hi
Hi Allan, our expert @Alfred Opiyo will be able to assist you on this.
Hi Allan the following ecological factors are ideal for passion fruit farming.
-Temperature 18°c -25°c for purple variety whereas 25-30°c for yellow variety
Soils- deep and fertile soil preference to sandy loam devoid of flooding or water logging incidences
Altitude- between 900- 1800 m.a.s.l

-PH slightly acid ranging from 6.0- 6.5
NB :Soils with high levels of organic matter give better result
- insufficient rainfall can be supplemented by irrigation

I believe Vihiga falls right within the above parameters, so my answer is YES

Allan Sirinji

Thank you Mr. Opiyo
Where can I get the seedlings and guidance/information explaining the whole process of passion fruits from the start,planting to harvesting and market.

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
Hi S
Thank you Mr. Opiyo
Where can I get the seedlings and guidance/information explaining the whole process of passion fruits from the start,planting to harvesting and market.
[/QUOT
Hi Allan there are two ways through which you can acquire seedlings:-
  1. Buying from s a certified propagator
  2. Setting up your own propagation unit
The first method is quick however may have sustainability implications I.e getting enough seedlings to gap the diseased, dried or poor performing or failed uptake after planting. It's also slightly expensive
The latter is slow, require personal technical skills or hired but cheap in the long run, give you room to have enough seedlings to ensure perfect plant population, for expansion. If you opt for ready seedlings you may place your request here in this platform through market segment- fruits and vegetables or/and buy and sell.

For setting up your propagation unit you need certified seeds from seed stores/outlets/Agrovet buy both yellow and purple varieties that later when ready you do grafting. Here below is a link I shared earlier a bout passion fruit growing I hope you'll find it useful too.