• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Potatoes Potato farming

Johnichnic

Am new in farming with a quarter acre and I want to do potatoe farming in Narok near Mau forest, how do I do it good

Alfred Opiyo

Certified Expert
Before starting I hope the plot wasn't under potatoes/crops in the potatoes family in a period less than 3 consecutive seasons for mono cropping is a predisposition to disease and pest to subsequent crops. This not withstanding begin by proper land preps I.e before rains
-Achievement of fair tilth is important since high germinating % is achieved by this.
-Go for the specific variety that does well in your area and consumer preference
- make prior order of certified seeds
- Have ready planting fertilizer DAP/NPK -with highest %tage of P.(1/4 acre require 50kgs)
-plant at the onset of rain to maximize utilization of nitrogen flush.
-To highest plant population / germination percentage which critical for high yield, you pre-germinate your seeds before planting.
- plants spacing should be checked
These are basics for excellent start. Agronomic management specific to potatoes we can discuss as you progress. Thanks

Last edited: