• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Sick birds is it food or chicks

ציארלס

I recently got broilet chicks from a hatchery and feeds from factory both sources well established.. on 5th day , high mortality was recorded .
A
I called vet on post mortem it established as gizzard impaction I administered liquid paraffin for two days.
Mortality still being high I took two more for post mortem to different vets and result showed impaction / indifestion and coccidiosis cysts on 7th day . Anti cocci was recommended and administered . No change
A third vet govt lab did culture and sensitivity and established e coli. And recommended medication.
Improvement noted.
Question
Considering incubation period of cocci and e coli is greater than 7 days where could the most likely source of infection farm hatchery or feeds as highest mortality was recorded on 5th day