• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry snoring chicks 11 weeks

Tualagal

i noticed my chicks improved kienyeji are snoring. the house had a bit of dampness which i have cleared. what medication should i administer?

Nyambura K

Veterinarian
i noticed my chicks improved kienyeji are snoring. the house had a bit of dampness which i have cleared. what medication should i administer?
The use of sulphonamide trimethoprim is effective. Other antibiotics that can be used include Erythromycin and oxytetracycline.
Practice good hygiene measures and avoid mixing birds of different ages more so when you bring in new birds. Manage your litter and ensure proper aeration in the chicken coup as well.

Tualagal

i found one chick like this today.
The use of sulphonamide trimethoprim is effective. Other antibiotics that can be used include Erythromycin and oxytetracycline.
Practice good hygiene measures and avoid mixing birds of different ages more so when you bring in new birds. Manage your litter and ensure proper aeration in the chicken coup as well.

Attachments

• sick chick.jpg
    sick chick.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2

Nyambura K

Veterinarian
one out of 100 chicks is like this.
Isolate the sick birds and give medication to the whole flock since the disease is already in the incubation stage for your flock even if they don't show the signs. Paramount hygiene is of the essence.

Tualagal

Thank you so much. is the medication mentioned above suitable for this kind as well, or is this skin disease?

Grace

Nyambura K

Veterinarian
Thank you so much. is the medication mentioned above suitable for this kind as well, or is this skin disease?

Grace
At closer look fowlpox lesions are noticed as well. You could be suffering from multiple infections.
Yes, the medication will offer supportive treatment but will not cure fowl pox.
Avoid mixing birds of different ages.
Practice good hygiene around and within your chicken coup.

Tualagal

what should i do about birds who dont have fow pox can they be vaccinated? they were due to be vaccinated this week? is fowl pox uncurable?

thank you so much. Grace

Nyambura K

Veterinarian
what should i do about birds who dont have fow pox can they be vaccinated? they were due to be vaccinated this week? is fowl pox uncurable?

thank you so much. Grace

Fowl pox is best prevented by vaccination. Depending on the severity it is manageable though cumbersome. Sometimes culling becomes the best option. Clear the flock, clean and disinfect the poultry house and rest it for 3-4 weeks before introducing a new flock. Also, vector control is of importance as mosquitoes are known to help in the read of the diseases.

You can vaccinate the birds if you are sure of their health status.
If they are with the same flock with this one chance are they are incubating the diseases as well hence vaccination will do more harm than good, unfortunately!