• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Other Poultry Turkey rearing.

kagodas

iam planning to start rearing turkeys as my retirement plan.but unfortunately iam not yet conversant with the project.Can you educate me on how i can start and manage this project efficiently well.Thanks .

nedward

Veterinarian
Starting a commercial turkey farm does not differ from setting up any other poultry farm. There are seven fundamental things you must put into consideration before venturing into a turkey farm. These include; demand for products, success stories of farmers who have ventured in the same, availability and location of inputs, capital required, operational requirements, risks associated with the venture and profit that can potentially be made off a unit sold. once the above has been considered, kindly drw up a business plan to map all the obove points

kagodas

Thanks Edward for your insight.but what are some of the challenges am likely to meet when i start.what type of feeds are required,how to handle the young ones,etc.For the market there is no worry about it because the demand here in Uganda is overwhelming.