• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Twisted neck in chicken

dunodhi

Hello, my chicken have got twisted necks, am told its Newcastle disease, my worry is that I already administered two sets of Newcastle vaccine, what could be the issue please. Thanks

nedward

Veterinarian
Hello, my chicken have got twisted necks, am told its Newcastle disease, my worry is that I already administered two sets of Newcastle vaccine, what could be the issue please. Thanks
Yes it is Newcastle. Vaccine administration has a strict cold chain protocol that must be adhered to (followed) for effectiveness of the vaccine. Besides time of vaccinations (schedule) must always be observed for better immune response. Some vaccines are age specific and have additive effect I.e the effectiveness of subsequent doses depends on how well thS birds responded to the first dose. Meaning anything going wrong during the formation of MAJOR Histo-compatibility complexes (immunology term please), would compromise the bodies response to the vaccine. Besides it is always advisable to at least have skilled person once in a while take you through the vaccinations administering process in your farm as you learn along. Never give up either. Vaccine are ment to reduce the risk and never to eliminate the risk completely. Errors are expected to occur but we have to soldier on. That is farming. Thanks

Seargent

in some cases it may be deficiency of vitamin k .try giving vitamin k supplements, Natural ones like spinach and sunflower seeds are best.