• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Water

Gakumwa

Hi why is it advisable not to use tap water or chlorinated water to feed the birds,
(2). what if in my area we always use tap water and nobore hole,what your advice on how to I can use that tap water in away I can't harm my flock, and are there ways I can remove chlorine in water???

nedward

Veterinarian
@Gakumwa chlorination is one of the ways of sanitizing drinking water for poultry consumption however the level should be in the ratio of 3parts per million. This means chlorinated water has no effect on your poultry if done correctly. Tap water despite being chlorinated at the source point , gets contaminated along the way hence one of the major vectors for poultry disease hence the recommendationthat you don't use tap water directly from the source but can sanitize it before supplying to your flock. Chlorinated water though isn't recommendedduring the period of vaccination for single reason that chlorine is a sanitizer and will definately alter the vaccine action.