• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Cattle What are the required nutrients and feed for more production of milk

• Thread starter Lawrence keitany
  • Start date

nedward

Veterinarian
Please give me your advice
A balanced diet for milk production is comprised of different proportions of forage,roughage,concentrates,minerals,vitamins and water. Forage include all plant materials used to feed livestock. Forage with high fibre content is called roughage. Lush forage with high water content is called fodder. It is recommended that 18-20% of the feed as dry matter be fibre. If the diet is too high in fibre, the intake of energy and protein will be inadequate, and the animal will produce less milk. Concentrates are feed with a higher protein and energy content and higher digestibility than forage. Milk production has very high energy and protein requirements, which forage alone cannot meet hence the importance of concentrates. Dairy animals require minerals and vitamins for their bodies to function normally, and to develop strong bones and joints. As milk contain much calcium,especially that mineral has to be provided through the feed. Compound minerals supplements are usually available as lick blocks or powder. Water is vital yo the animals' health growth and milk production. As much as 85% of milk is water, it is especially important for milking animals to get enough water. Water is also necessary to enable the cow digest dry feed. If it does not have sufficient water, it will eat considerably less feed, resulting in drcreased nutrition and therefore, reduced milk priduction.

L

Lawrence keitany

Thanks for your advice,am a young farmer and I need more teaching for more knowledge to make me successful.