• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Livestock What causes virginal prolapse in pregnant heifers?

Mike imende

Kindly need to know how Virginal prolapse is treated and what might be the cause?(my 6months heifer is having this problem when it lies down)

nedward

Veterinarian
Vaginal prolapse is and end result of straining which could be caused by several factors including kidney /or and bladder infection, low grade peritonitis,infection in the uterus,large size calf at full. Treatment can follow many routes but must be done by Qualified veterinarian. Success is possible only if the prolapsed vagina isn't soiled and not dry by the time vet arrives who will follow many procedures including suturing. Kindly seek help from vet nearby e.g from government offices too.

Mike imende

The Vagina isn't solid it was an early discovery, the vet injected the cow(two shots) the gave another fluid to drink.... Then ask us to wash the prolapse with warm sugar water and try push it back if it appears.
Just wanted to know if that's the right procedure.

Mike imende

And if the calf is bigger at start of 7th month will it be to nurse the pregnancy to full maturity? Cz the vet said the calf is big due to overfeeding and there you go got me confused, I don't feed much supplements other than salt block, green matter(nappier and just normal grass)

nedward

Veterinarian
Which breed of cow are we talking about here. Remember the calf is result of sire x Dam genetics. If the sire was a large breed and was used to breed or inseminate heifer then chances of dystocia( difficult calving) very high. Must be assisted. If prolapse already before calving kindly get vet ready during calving period for quick action coz an for seeing emergency.