• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Why Hens hatch few chicks After Brooding???

Nyajay

have 9 Hens and I have realised very few chick getting hatched I dont Know what I am getting wrong since I have a cock and is very disappointed by the failure rate in 10- 14 Eggs , I do get 3- 5 chicks only. Kindly Help what i am not doing right???

nedward

Veterinarian
@ Nyajay, several factors can lead to poor hatch rate from natural incubation. This include but not limited to egg fertility, number of eggs set per bird(large birds maximum 12. Small maximum 7 eggs). Time when the eggs are set i.e when the hen starts sitting on the egg( always set the eggs at 6pm so that hatching start 6pm on the 21st day, meaning the hen will have the whole night on the eggs as they hatch). Remember hen will always leave eggs that would otherwise hatch in the nest as long as the 1st chick has jump out side the nest. Ensure therefore that the bird doesn't leave the nest entire day of 21st and half day 22nd. The nest shouldn't be flat. Other factors taken care of ensure the birds are well fed during laying period for quality eggs maintaing ratio of 1 cock for every 5 hen for fertile eggs production. Don't set dirty or cracked eggs. Don't wash eggs with water. Kindly have above as check list and thank me later. All the best.

Last edited:

Nyajay

Dear all, I have come back to thank the advisor for my concern above, I tried following the steps as higlihted and happy to report an improvement on my flock I gave the hens 10 eggs as I was still afraid they might not hatch but I had them hatch 7 out of the 10 . This to me is a milestone since i used to have them hatch like 3 or less eggs, Many thanks E lengo

nedward

Veterinarian
Dear all, I have come back to thank the advisor for my concern above, I tried following the steps as higlihted and happy to report an improvement on my flock I gave the hens 10 eggs as I was still afraid they might not hatch but I had them hatch 7 out of the 10 . This to me is a milestone since i used to have them hatch like 3 or less eggs, Many thanks E lengo
Welcome.