• eLengo is East Africa's farming hub, combining an online community, educational resources and dynamic marketplace to help you reach your full potential.

Guests may browse our forums, but to participate in the conversations you must be logged in. We encourage you to join now- it's easy and it's FREE!

(and it will make this box go away)

Poultry Definitive diagnosis of the following signs

Vet.Chris

Veterinarian
Most of our commercial feeds have anticoccidiostats in them so no need to look for others since we have the issue of antimicrobial resistance and food security which we don't want to be contributing on the wrong side

Lymnea

Most of our commercial feeds have anticoccidiostats in them so no need to look for others since we have the issue of antimicrobial resistance and food security which we don't want to be contributing on the wrong side
Sorry i forgot to ask, i also rear ducks. The most recent group of ducklings never survived for more than a week with a single duckling dieing daily. They all hours prior to death seemed to develop an imbalance in posture and movement with some toppling over oftenly and others staggering, no feeding and eventually death, what could be the problem?

Vet.Chris

Veterinarian
Ducks are usually affected by respiratory infection while young , where you find a healthy duckling all over sudden develops nervous symptoms such as cycling, staggering, imbalance posture, uncontrollable head and then dies.
I recommend to ensure you use clean water always and use Chick formula for the first and 2nd week. It boosts the immunity of the ducks and prevents such.

Lymnea

Those are the exact signs. I also noticed that if i confine the ducklings with their mother duck, this problem arises, but when i leave them to free range around the homestead, they perform well. Could the cold weather also result in the respiratory infection?

Vet.Chris

Veterinarian
Partly yes because what happens is they suffocate in the process, limited oxygen runs through their blood system so they die. When they are free range they enjoy good ventilation and fresh air circulation system.

toshmbugiz

Hi,I once bought chicken from our local market,took them home mixed with the flock at home,bt infected the flock.They started dying,in five days the whole flock was wiped.my question is which drugs should one administer to such chicken B4 putting together with the rest?

Lymnea

Ducks are usually affected by respiratory infection while young , where you find a healthy duckling all over sudden develops nervous symptoms such as cycling, staggering, imbalance posture, uncontrollable head and then dies.
I recommend to ensure you use clean water always and use Chick formula for the first and 2nd week. It boosts the immunity of the ducks and prevents such.
Is there a drug to administer to the ducklings once struck by the respiratory infection?